I am back with another healthy oil and this time it is sesame seed oil. Sesame seeds are known as til in Hindi. This oil is a favorite in South India and most of the cooking is done in this oil.
Sesame Seed Oil has been used as a healing oil for thousands of years. Sesame oil is mentioned in the Vedas as being excellent for humans. Hmmm doesn’t it sound fascinating? Come let us rediscover this oil.
Varieties of Sesame Oil
- Cold-pressed sesame oil is pale yellow in colour.
- Indian sesame oil (gingerly or til oil) is golden in colour.
- East Asian sesame oils are commonly a dark brown colour.( This dark colour and flavour are derived from roasted/toasted sesame seeds.)
Health Benefits Of Sesame Oil
- It is known to be helpful for diabetic patients.
- A study showed that sesame seed oil has a beneficial effect in patients suffering from high blood pressure.
- A study showed that massaging infants with sesame oil improved both their growth and post-massage sleep, in comparison to other oils such as mineral oil. This oil stimulates brain growth and improves nervous system.
- It is known to improve cardiovascular health and regulates cholesterol.
- Sesame oil is almost an all-in-one substance that provides plenty types of nutrients for bones. It has mineral zinc that generally promotes healthy bones.
- It has an important nutrient – copper which helps to relieve rheumatoid arthritis.
- It can also prevent various diseases such as osteoporosis and colon cancer since the oil contains calcium mineral.
- Sesame oil also maintains vascular and respiratory health.
- As per some studies suspect that the oil plays an important role in helping depression cases.
- Now coming to the skin part (for the girls out there), it can act as moisturizer, emollient, and anti-inflammatory remedy. Its texture is fairly thick, but it can penetrate the skin easily. Sesame oil is known to trap toxins on your skin and carry them away as you wash your body. I guess that is why people apply it before their bath. I came to know that you can even use sesame oil as a sunscreen lotion ? Really, I am amazed!!! Are you? Why do we need to spend fortunes on expensive creams when there this affordable magic potion.
- It is known to prevent the following types of cancer:
- Multiple Myleoma
- Colon Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Lung Cancer
Oil pulling for oral health
Sesame seed oil has been used for oral health for thousands of years in a process known as “oil pulling.” (in Ayurveda) It involves swishing sesame seed oil in the mouth for prolonged durations and has been said to
- prevent teeth decay,
- prevent bleeding gums,
- prevent dry throat,
- and for strengthening the teeth, gums and jaw.
I have personally seen sachets of sesame oil meant for oil pulling at local grocery stores here in Chennai.
Clinical research also now confirms that it compares favorably to chemical mouthwash ( the ones available in the market and promoted on TV) in improving plaque-induced gingivitis and that it is capable of reducing chances of oral plaque formation.
With so many internal and external benefits, I am sure you would be attracted to this oil.
Stay fit and stay healthy ?